Health Business Directory - BTS Local

It's Okay to Take a Day Off

Thursday, January 15, 2009

This morning I woke up feeling less than 100%. My back ached, my head hurt, and I had very little energy. I wake up with aches and pains sometimes, but this felt a little worse than that. Since I work out in the morning, I had to decide whether or not I would be going to the gym. I absolutely hate to miss a work out, because I know that it's necessary to reach the weight loss goals that I have set. After much debate with myself, I decided that my symptoms were bad enough to warrant a pass on the exercise today. I have to admit that I did feel a little guilty about it.

A few hours later, while watching tv with my son, a song came on one of his favorite shows. The chorus went something like: "sometimes it's best to take it slow, take it easy, take a rest". The message, geared toward toddlers, was really about taking a nap, but it still spoke to me. I realized that my feelings of guilt were silly: it's okay to take a break from exercise every once in a while. In fact, taking a break is sometimes just what we need.

As it turns out, I was right to listen to what my body was telling me. I have been running a low-grade fever for much of the day. In the end, working out may have only made me feel worse, and depleted whatever energy that I did have left. With a toddler in the house, I need as much energy as I can get!

So don't feel guilty if you feel you need a rest from exercise every now and then. Just be sure to resume your exercise routine as soon as possible, and pat yourself on the back for all of the hard work you have put forth thus far!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP