Health Business Directory - BTS Local

Reasons Why I LOVE the South Beach Diet

Sunday, January 11, 2009

How often do you hear someone say that they LOVE being on a diet? I don’t think I’ve ever heard it. That’s truly how I feel, though. South Beach (SB) has given me my life back, and I tell as many people about it as possible. Here are several reasons why I have become so passionate about SB:

Low Risk
The book can be found at a lot of public libraries, used bookstores, or online. So, either way it will be free or at a low price. Other than that, all that needs to be bought is food. I buy everything I need at a regular grocery store, and my grocery bill hasn’t increased very much at all—maybe $5-10. That’s it! There are no $100 kits to buy or $50 fees to join.

No Hunger
On other diets, I felt like I was always hungry. That hunger usually led me to give into temptations, because I got sick of denying myself food. On SB, I am NEVER hungry. I can eat proteins and veggies until I am full. If I get hungry before bed, I grab a slice of reduced-fat cheese or a handful of almonds—and it’s okay!

No Counting
Counting calories, fat grams, etc. gets very old after a while. Who wants to do that for the rest of their life? On SB, there’s a list of approved foods, and that’s what I stick with! I do have to pay attention to the amount of whole grain carbohydrates and oils I take in, but that’s a lot less than what I had to do on those other failed diets.

Consistent Weight Loss
Losing at least ½ to 1 lb. a week consistently is so great! There’s nothing I hate worse than 0 lb. weight loss week after week. If you put the effort into it, and do everything that you should, you want to see that you’re making headway. It may take a little while to reach my goal weight, but at least I know that what I am doing is working.

Variety of Food Choices
While there are SB frozen meals on the market, you don’t HAVE to buy them in order to stick to the diet. Some weight loss programs require you to purchase their frozen meals in order to lose weight. I’m not much of a fan of frozen meals. I like having the freedom to fix my food the way I want it. I can play around with different spices and ingredients to create a dish that is appealing to me. Who wants to eat something that doesn’t taste good?

My Family Can Eat the Same Foods
I don’t have to buy a separate list of groceries for the rest of my family. All of the foods that I am allowed to have are okay for everyone in my family to eat. I don’t have to worry about my son missing any nutrients that he needs because whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and “good” oils provide everything he needs to be healthy, as well. Of course, I don’t limit his carbohydrate intake like I do my own, but he can still eat the same kind of carbohydrates that I am eating. They’re a whole lot better for him!

I Don’t Feel Like I’m Missing Out
Since I am never hungry, my body doesn’t feel like I am denying it. I have no cravings, which makes it easier to say “no thanks” when I am offered something that isn’t good for me. Additionally, I can have an occasional treat like semisweet chocolate chips without it ruining all the effort that I have put forth.

It’s a Lifestyle Change
I can see myself eating like this forever! The foods that I am eating make me feel good. I have more energy than I used to, and my body just seems to “run” better. Psychologically, I feel better about myself because I know that I am taking the right steps to become a healthier individual.

What about you? What do you like most about SB?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like having a list of foods to go by. It makes things a lot simpler :)

Ree said...

The approved foods list does make things a lot easier. I hated having to carry a calculator to the grocery store when I was on one of those other diets. It took too long to figure out whether or not I could eat the particular food or not.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP